By Barbara Tedlock
A amazing anthropologist–who can be an initiated shaman–reveals the long-hidden woman roots of the world’s oldest kind of faith and drugs. here's a interesting day trip into this historical culture, from its prehistoric beginnings to the paintings of girls shamans around the globe today.
Shamanism was once not just humankind’s first non secular and therapeutic perform, it used to be initially the area of ladies. this can be the declare of Barbara Tedlock’s provocative and myth-shattering publication. Reinterpreting generations of scholarship, Tedlock–herself a professional in dreamwork, divination, and healing–explains how and why the position of ladies in shamanism was once misinterpreted and suppressed, and provides a stunning array of proof, from prehistoric African rock artwork to fashionable Mongolian ceremonies, for women’s shamanic powers.
Tedlock combines firsthand money owed of her personal education one of the Maya of Guatemala with the wealthy checklist of ladies warriors and hunters, non secular publications, and prophets from many cultures and occasions. Probing the practices that distinguish woman shamanism from the far better recognized male traditions, she reveals:
• the foremost position of physique knowledge and women’s eroticism in shamanic trance and ecstasy
• the feminine varieties of dream witnessing, imaginative and prescient questing, and use of hallucinogenic drugs
• Shamanic midwifery and the religious powers published in childbirth and per month lady cycles
• Shamanic symbolism in weaving and different female arts
• Gender transferring and male-female partnership in shamanic practice
Filled with illuminating tales and illustrations, the girl within the Shaman’s physique restores girls to their crucial position within the heritage of spirituality and celebrates their carrying on with function within the all over the world resurgence of shamanism this present day.