By Peter Guralnick, Christopher John Farley
A spouse to the groundbreaking PBS documentary sequence, this quantity is a distinct and undying occasion of the blues, from writers and artists as esteemed and respected because the tune that moved them.
Included during this gorgeous assortment are
- Essays by way of David Halberstam, Hilton Als, Suzan-Lori Parks, Elmore Leonard, Luc Sante, John Edgar Wideman, etc
- Timeless archival items via writers resembling Stanley sales space, Paul Oliver, and Mack McCormick
- Evocative colour illustrations and infrequent classic images
- Illuminating and in-depth conversations and pictures of musicians, starting from Robert Johnson and Bessie Smith to John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton
- Lyrics of mythical blues compositions
- Personal essays by way of the sequence administrators Martin Scorsese, Charles Burnett, Richard Pearce, Wim Wenders, Marc Levin, Mike Figgis, and Clint Eastwood
- Excerpts from literary masters James Baldwin, Ralph Ellison, Eudora Welty, Zora Neale Hurston, Langston Hughes, and William FaulknerTracing the artwork form's course from juke joints, condo events, and recording studios to musicians corresponding to Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles, Martin Scorsese offers The Blues proves, within the phrases of Willie Dixon, "The blues are the roots; every-thing else is the fruits."